Thursday, July 28, 2005

Food for Thought


I went to John C. Maxwell's forum last friday, and I'd like to quote some of the things he said regarding success. I think you guys will be interested in this, especially you Fish.

Maxwell asked us, how can you be SUCCESSFUL in life? We all want success, but how come there are some schmoes who can only scrape a few bucks just enough to stay alive? He said the difference between successful people and those bums out on the streets is this - successful people know their PURPOSE in life.

So how does one find his purpose? The answer is pretty straightforward. Find your PASSION. In other words, find your STRENGTHS. We've been taught by teachers all our lives to work on our weaknesses. You might remember hearing someone tell you, "your Math is terrible, but your English is terrific, work on your English." Or the other way around. If you rate yourself in comparison to society in Math and English from 1-10, with 10 being the highest, how would you rate yourself? Let's say you're a 7 in English and a 5 in Math. Maxwell said a person can only raise one's rating by 2 points in one lifetime. That's the limit. If you had 2 points to allocate, where would you put them? Math or English? Obviously, it would be on English. Why the hell would you spend all your life to make your Math into a very MEDIOCRE 7, when you can make your English into a SUPERIOR 9? Once you find your PASSION, you will never feel COMPELLED to do anything. It becomes second nature - WORK becomes PLAY.

Successful people are extraordinary. Ordinary is something they are NOT. Average people do not become successful. Those who find their PURPOSE, their PASSION and their STRENGTHS are those that become SUCCESSFUL in life.

I hope I enlightened you a bit with my ranting Fish. I hope you find your way. If you ever need help, you got me as your wingman.

[BTW, the Chinese characters are pronounced as Wu Wei. In Taoism, it means Inaction or Non-resistance. If you find your Passion, that's the result that you get.]

2 Comments:

Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

I hope I enlightened you a bit with my ranting Fish. I hope you find your way. If you ever need help, you got me as your wingman.


...Bullshit! You can be mine.

haha thanks chair. I'll keep that in mind...

7:06 PM  
Blogger nickg said...

k. i'm developing my "alcoholism". i should make it from a 9 to 11 if i really try. that would be ubermensch in that department.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home