Saturday, November 19, 2005

sweet emotions

You know what tilts me lately? Emotions at the poker table, I absolutely hate it. I can’t stand players ranting or bitching when they lose a hand. I can understand disbelief, shock, or even depression when they lose. So maybe it’s not emotion that I hate, it might be ego. Yeah, that’s right, I think its ego. I want to outplay rather than outcard these kind of players.

Let’s face one fact, and that is no one really tells you how to play a certain hand. You control what happens to you at the table. Not the dealer, not your opponent, not the deck, not your hole cards, not the flop, turn, or river, but you, and you alone. Yes, we all get unlucky sometimes when we are ahead before the flop then the board will favor the other guy. Tough luck, after all, it’s still gambling we’re doing. But don’t bitch when you get beaten by a guy who makes his flush on the river. Yes, you maybe ahead, but maybe you shouldn’t be in that hand after all playing your ace rag.

Let’s just stop pointing fingers. Let’s think if we did the right thing first… let’s be responsible for our own actions. don't always think that you are the best player at the table, chances are you're not. Cconfidence is a good thing, but being self - aware is way better.

7 Comments:

Blogger boy of destiny said...

is this a pretentious post? hahaha jk.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

i know what you mean bro, just read my last post hehe.

but poker also reflects the personality of the player. Like for example, YOU. you know how violently you react when you hit your big hands or win big pots right? you have one of the loudest screams out there hehe.

i know i cant help myself react when my pre-flop all-in that hit top pair/nut flush draw loses against a frickin 4-2 that hits one of its TWO OUTS on the turn and makes a straight.(at the JG tourney pare. ARGH!)

if you watch phil hellmuth, who's been playing for 20 years or something, he acts like a fricking brat on the table. Then there amateurs like greg raymer, who hardly reacts even after winning a big pot.

It's really about the personality.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yup. we can't really control the initial reaction, but when you let go on the whole night, it only means one thing, pikon ka. hahah

6:42 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

may pasok yata.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

may "pasok". hehe.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jazmin said...

Yeah, that's right. I admit to have a lot of emotions during the game sometimes. But as much as I can, I try to be strong enough to control it. But regardless of my own temper, I'm still glad that we have a very loving and open community. Knowing that poker is like a battle, people tend to be emotional. We may scream in digust or jump for our wins, people among us are gentlemen. We are friends, even after that battle we call poker. Then another hand will be dealt...

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home