Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Book the Win

In the past, every time I play a ring/cash game, I will sit there until I have a massive stack or have nothing at all.

Big mistake

Our local scene here got started with single table tournaments(sit and go's aka SNG), and for you to win that, you must get all of the chips at the table. It was how we learned to play the game, watching WPT, and for the more fortunate, WSOP, and for a while, that's the only thing we know of. The only time you will leave the table is when you don't have any chips left. You sit there and wait for the current tourney to be over and for the next one to start.

But as you all know by now, the texture and the overall mechanics of a cash game is totally different. Sure, it is basically the same game, No Limit Texas Hold 'Em, same rules, same structure and all, with some differences which I would'nt call minor. Blinds don't increase, and you can cash out or rebuy anytime.

I notice a lot, and I mean a lot of players playing the ring game as if it was a SNG, playing til they stil have chips. I for one, is guilty of this kind of mentality, but I'm getting the hang of it. If your down already, analyze the situation whether or not it will be a right thing for you to buy in again, maybe it's time for you to call it a night. On the other hand, if your up, again, analyze the situation, maybe what you have right now is the best that you can do for that night and be happy with it.

I could have won more, or lost less, if I just applied this months ago. Thinking too much about how much I can make was detrimental and became my waterloo. At least I learned from it, and I hope you guys learn from it too.

Grouch's balls to the wall comment of the week: Yeah, right now poker here is a social thing. We meet, greet, and chit chat with the players, it's like the new golf course a friend of mine told me months ago. But it's not so much more sociable losing money to the guy next to you isn't it, no matter how small you lose? unless you have money to burn, which i don't think most of us has. think about it.

In peace, prepare for war; in war, prepare for peace...
(or the other way around?)
-Sun Tzu

grouch

8 Comments:

Blogger boy of destiny said...

Tipsy's remarks:

I believe we all have to ask ourselves, "What am I playing for?" If you're playing for money, you have to think again on what the hell you are doing. Sure there are those who really do make a living playing poker, but if you ask them how they make money, they'll tell you it's not about the money. Ironic isn't it? This just proves that for one to be successful in anything, you've got to have the passion and the love for what you do.

Now that cash games are on the rise and SnG's slowly declining, there is more emphasis on 'cash'. It's not surprising why more compulsive gamblers play the cash game because of the rebuy. For those who are new to cash games, it is very dangerous to get carried away. I've seen a lot of people lose their bankrolls in one night. That's why it is very important to know what you're playing for. If it's for playing poker and meeting people, then you have to be responsible not to go over your head and become greedy.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah its true, love for poker should come before anything else. i agree with you by broy...

however, will you actually acuse tiger woods or michael jordan of playing for money than playing the game they most love?

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that money is involve with poker. that's the way things are i guess, let's just grind it out.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Jazmin said...

I agree 'coz greed is not skill. But, ashamed as I am, I plead guilty. My first few times to play ring games, I was playing it as if it was SNG. Not knowing the difference, I play mid-connectors with the reason that it's the best hand I've had so far. I was so used to tourneys, thinking I've gotta make a move or the blinds will kill me. My bad, blinds in ring games don't increase.
About the playing for the money thing... Honestly, Che and I don't have much money to spare. We set aside a max of two buy-ins for ring games when we have money. We play our game. But then those people who would think that it's better coz there's unlimited rebuy, that would be the best way to lose a lotta money. Easier to hand it over to me *wink*. What I'm trying to say is that we do need money. But we don't consider playing poker (SNG or Ring)to be gambling. And we try so hard not to cross that line. Poker involves skill... If I wanna gamble, I'll go play roullete or baccarat! I can win more. But more often than not, I can lose a WHOLE LOT MORE...

10:56 AM  
Blogger nickg said...

The one point that really jumps out at me in this thread is the idea that the ring threatens the roll more than the tourney. i've never been a scientific dude, but i'd wager my left
*ut that more tourney pros are broker (more broke?) than ring playuhs.

We should create the 10 commandments of pokuh. For me, commandment number 1 would be.

1. Thou must have a roll

Number 2.

2. Thou must playeth within thy roll

That's it. Assuming you're a skilled, knowledgeable, experienced player, your positive expected value per session will take you to the profits you seek in time.

True, we can dump a lot in one session. We can dump a lot in 6 months. Work on your game. Work on your swing. The money will come.

Do what you love, do it well, and the money will come.

and i've said this to the dudes who share the same state of mind with me...give the daily (smart) grinders a year, maybe two, and they'll be the finest playuhs in the country.

My left *ut's at stake

5:23 PM  
Blogger boy of destiny said...

In terms of profit, yes, ring games are way more profitable for the skilled player. but for those who are just making the transition from SnG to Ring, it is easy to get carried away. There are a lot of new players taking up tourny styly SnG poker, mostly coz of tv poker. But when they dip their feet in Ring games, then I won't be surprised if majority of them will lose their rolls playing with a mentality of tourny style in a ring game.

Poker isn't gambling. But you can play it as such when you keep buying in and hope the good cards come out. That's like giving away all your cash to the sharks.

I agree with nick that if you do what you love, money will follow. It's like Zen, you focus in the moment, and not the result. If your roll can't handle the game, then you won't be able to focus playing poker; all you'll think about is how huge the pot is, and how much cash you will lose.

7:27 PM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

You start playing golf, you hire a pro to help you with your swing, you dump lotsa money, you're in school, it's your tuition fee, same in poker.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! crushed laptop Malissa ford jessica rabbit Charcoal filter water refillable Horny mature women living in binghamton area Habiscus flower online xanax Baseball furniture for a kids room Shaker end tables sofa table

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. urban fitness trails Depakote+and+migraines Home cooking school in moberly mo missouri Order butalbital without a prescription online Zoloft dysthymia Dr. whitaker vitamins cosmetics clinique Fly fishing simulator rhinoplasty surgeons in michigan swimsuit supermodels Vivitar digital camera printing Start computer Time shares market value Used engine mercedes benz 1984 300d fog humidifier concerta er painting appliances

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home