Monday, August 29, 2005

Poker Is Life

It's Monday again folks, and you know what that means.

No, you don't. It was supposed to be a Monday night at Penalosa or at the regular spot, but I went to a friend's birthday lunch, brought out a deck and played, just for kicks. I had a couple of brews, well it wasn't a couple. After happy hour was done, I was in no condition to play cards.

As for you guys that don't know, I played poker the entire week last week. Months back, I remember telling myself I play too much (around 3 times a week) that was then guys. Now I'm putting in hours at the table, freakin' grindin', but hey I love the game and I'm happy with what I'm doing now. I meet new people at the table, learning more about the game, making good friends, and you're doing this while taking other peoples chips! how awesome is that?

Playin' long hours of poker does take a tole on your system. I do get tired - mentally and physically drained. Plus, add the smoke and the alcohol. Damn... When bad cards fall, you just can't do shit against calling stations and loose gambOOlers. That's how the game works, gotta learn to accept it cause shit does happen. Don't forget the bad beats and river beats, that shit really hurts.

No worries, cause i know, it's all about the long term boys and girls. I may sound like a broken record but it's a fact and it beats any cosmic law in the universe. That's the light at the end of the tunnel as they say or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or whatever. As long as I'm knowledgable enough and sober, I know I can get chips.

Poker is a lot like life, it's a game you need to beat. But the truth is, it can't be beat. All you can do is make the right (profitable) decisions at the right time. Capitalize. Use the friggin' EDGE, as Nick would say. Live with the EDGE, use it to win. It also has ups and downs, you gotta know why you're up and stay that way but when the tide comes you got to know when to settle down and control yourself.

Lastly, discipline and control in hand selection. It's like looking at different cars, you have to know which is the best in utility, durability and performance. A premium hand is what you want, cut the marginal crap and go with the premium stuff. Also, Patience. Patience is a virtue, and it's goddamn hard to keep cool and wait while you have a freakin' short stack right in front of you. Wait and you will be rewarded, that's what I believe.

That's it for today.