Thursday, June 02, 2005

For the Love of the Game

It all started out a couple of months back when on one afternoon, my cousin, Mark, invited me for some poker game over the net. I wasn't doing anything, so yeah, I did. The game was called, No Limit Texas Hold'em.

A couple of days passed, and I was playing at UltimateBet regularly just so I could burn time when I wasn't doing anything. It was all fun till I got to watch the movie "Rounders", which starred Matt Damon, a guy who played poker from rags to riches for a living. You want to know why? Watch it. Then you realize, it's not just any ordinary card game which involves shitloads of luck, it's No Limit Texas Hold'em, the cadillac of poker. A game that takes a minute to learn, a lifetime to master.

That's when I started taking the game seriously. NL Texas Hold'em is more of a skill game, yes, you may have to need luck, but it's how you play and bet. Looking at how people play their hands and reading their moves is quite a challenge, read them right, props to you, read them wrong, you're going to find yourself in a deep shithole. So there it became official, putting my game a few notches up was one of my priorities. I started to fall in love with the game.

For starters, playing over the net with a bag of chips and a couple of cans of beer could earn up a space to your hobby list. But playing the real thing with real money is different. Adding a deck of cards and a cig here and there changes everything. One word? Addictive. So a few weeks later we set up this "poker bootcamp" it was a 3-night thing. We had fun, everyone was drinking, laughing, giving their best poker faces, but I had to place it that the best part was winning. We played a one table 8-way game of NL Texas Hold'em, I lost my very first game but then I considered it as a warm-up. After, I won quite a number of games, reading my way through bluffs and nuts. It was one hell of a bootcamp, and what a way to start my so called career.

As of late I've been playing poker with my buds once to twice a week. Joining some tourneys and freerolls here and there, practicing, trying to get better and luckily winning some multi-table tourneys. I'm looking forward to some guaranteed cash tourneys as of now, and I've got a few on my list. Feel free to comment, or any, invitations are most likely welcome (Hit me up, IM name on profile). Later.