Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Cadillac of Poker

It's official, I'm hooked on Poker. Not just any kind of Poker, No Limit Texas Hold'em Poker. The Cadillac of Poker, as Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten would say at the World Poker Tour.

It all started one rainy night at my buddy Nino's house in Valle Verde - the night I popped my cherry... in Hold'em that is. At that time, my only Poker background was from watching Five Card Stud movies such as Maverick, and watching WPT on Sports Plus. So, we played a short-handed game of three, and to cut the story short, I eliminated Nino, became chip leader, then squandered my lead and eventually lost Heads Up to my friend Mark.

From then on, I played a couple of games here and there, mostly losing cash and my desire to play. So I layed low for a few weeks, not being concerned with Poker and focused more on my Golf game. (I'm around a 7 handicap if you wish to know. Drop me a message if you want to play. If there's anything that I'm more interested in besides Poker, it's Golf.)

So Poker was completely out of my mind at the time, that was until I saw my Poker idol play in WPT. Gus Hansen. The crazy bloke who played almost every hand dealt to him. And of course, watching him do those tricks with his chips, it just added to his aura of invincibility.

A few weeks later, I decided to have a mini Poker tournament at my house. We played an eight ring game, and lo and behold, I finally won my first game of Hold'em. And I kept winning for the next three nights in what would be known as The Poker Camp. The funny thing was how I was winning. A lot of my friends think I sold my soul to St. Michael (San Miguel), because the more I drank, the more my game got better. Hence the name Tipsy Tilter. Of course, we all know that's a load of crap right? Or maybe not...

Afterwards, Mark, my partner in crime in Hold'em, lent me Doyle Brunson's Super Systems, the Bible of Poker. That probably sealed the deal for me. I was an official No Limit Texas Hold'em Poker addict.

Since then, I began playing online at www.UltimateBet.com to hone my new found skills. Also, I began looking for gullible noobs who were willing to donate some cash to the Tipsy Tilter Foundation. But money was never my priority, and never will be. It has always been the thrill of putting everything on the line, even in Golf. Knowing you can lose it all, or win it all in one go, that's what I live for. Whatever cash or reward I get would only be a bonus.

And now, here I am making a Blog about Poker. I will probably post most of the things I know about Hold'em, like strategies, how I won, or how I lost, theories, observations and anything under the sun with regards to Hold'em. That's all for now, this is your Tipsy Tilter signing out.